Sunday, January 21, 2018

Not everything that's lost.. is gone forever


The Capitol Flea market is one of the last authentic flea markets left in my area. Sure there are a few in San Jose and the Bay Area, but often you find row after row of new items and stuff shipped in from China.. and sometimes a girl just wants to see used skateboard decks and vintage dolls from the 60’s. I love coming early with a coffee in hand and no real objective for my visit. I roam the aisles look and touching and asking “how much” and even if I leave empty handed I still feel fulfilled after my visit. 



I like people; watching them, talking to them and listening to their stories. That's why I had such an amazing relationship with my Nana, who just passed away-I love you forever, because I never discredited her. She was never old in my eyes, just vintage. For a woman who lived in a completely different era, she knew how to give advice for today- better than anyone I’ve confided in. She told stories that were never boring or outdated, they gave me the power to travel through time and see a whole different world. Some of my favorite qualities that she had were: her laugh, her winks from across the table, her commitment to using proper manners and grammar, her cute nana style, her story telling skills, HER COOKING, the love for her family, her spy like nature, the stubbornness, when she would force a closer bond with my little sister- my best friend, the way she made a coffee, her love for sweets- just like me, and the most was that she moved across the country the second I was born. I've never had someone who loved me that much. The is the most perfect British Nana. 
and she is mine. forever in my heart. 






The farmers market stalls are filled with fruits and vegetables from across the continent. You can find pineapples in winter and dahlias in the spring. The freshest bananas and heaps of peanuts. I recently switched to a plant based diet ( for many reasons, but health is a big one) so I enjoy stopping by and getting food for the week. I'm a big fan of putting money into a person's hand and not a corporation. So I always try to shop small when I can. 


Did I mention the flea market in in the same parking lot where they have drive in movies? So there are huge screens that surround the perimeter, which is pretty epic.





 You can find almost anything you need, or don't need. From home goods to sporting equipment, power tools and leather boots. Items for as low as 50 cents to furniture in the hundreds. One thing you can be sure of is that you will get it at a fair price and haggling is encouraged. Which honestly, I'm not good at that.. I usually just pay what they tell me.. so I have to work on that. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...