Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Protein Bars

My rule of thumb.. or eating.. is if I can't pronounce the ingredient list in a product, then I won't be putting it in my mouth. I look at some labels and wonder if there is any actual food in it, or is it all additives and chemicals. I don't like putting foreign/unnatural items in my body.. I don't even like taking Tylenol.

So I pulled a recipe and adapted it a bit to provide you an excellent protein bar with Omega-3's. Perfect for after a work out or as a meal/snack (only because they contain about 200 calories each if you cut your 8x8 in pan into 8- 10 bars.

The main source of protein is from the nuts- which also provide good fat and they usually have low or no GI value, so you don't have to worry about a blood sugar spike. The flax seed is a good source of fiber and the cranberries have antioxidant power. The chia seeds and coconut oil provide extra benefits too!!

Take a look at the first few ingredients of the popular EAS protein bar, and the ingredient list goes on...

[[Whey Protein Isolate, Glycerine, Fractionated Palm & Palm Kernel Oil, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Maltitol Syrup]]

Can I get some real food?

This is the recipe I used as a base and then added to it. I didnt add the carob (chocolate) layer on the top or the vanilla extract. I subbed organic honey for her vegetable glycerine and added cranberries and pistachios. Hope you like it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...