Wednesday, July 25, 2012

a hearty meal


I went on a little baking binge, and decided to put together a little home cooked meat a bread recipe. The only thing was that I really made balsamic turkey meatloaf and rosemary, carrot and garlic scones- so a little more gormet than I led on.. The recipe for the scones turned out perfect. Plus the recipe used non fat yogurt instead of butter or oil, so the fat content was a lot less than a traditional scone. I didn't add the seeds to the top, and I formed mine into a circle and cut triangles instead of bars. Next time I make these I think I will add more spices to the recipe.

The meatloaf is a recipe that a friend shared with me.
1 lb ground turkey
1 bell pepper
1 med onion (red or white)
3 garlic cloves

saute everything in a pan with olive oil until it is cooked through.
 steam 3-4 cups of spinach leaves over the heat and then mix that in with the turkey mixture. Then you want to mix in 1 egg and sprinkle 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs over the top.

grab a 1 cup measuring cup and put in BBq sauce, ketchup, and balsamic vinegar- use whatever ratio of each depending on what flavors you like. I do 1/2 cup of the B.V. and a quarter cup of the other two. Mix everything together and form it in a loaf pan... or you could form a long mound on a baking sheet if you like more of a crispy crust on top.
Bake it in your oven for 45 minuted at 405 degrees. Sometimes I have to cook it a little longer. *Note- I don't use as much of the bread crumbs as the original recipe calls for (1-1.5 cups) because I don't like it too bread-y. This tends to not hold together as well. So add more if you like.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...