Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Smores L♥ve


It was love at first sight and married by the first bite. I was headed to a good old fashioned BBq this past weekend, and thought that I should probably bring something. I had a a Devils Food cake mix in the pantry and I didn't want to do a plain chocolate cake. I didn't want to do cream cheese frosting. I wanted to do something that smelled and felt like summer.


I decided that a cake modeled after a smores dessert, would be the ideal pick for a summer gathering. I made the Duncan Hines cake as directed on the box in 2 round pans. I got some of the little caramel candies and melted 10 of them in a saucepan with a splash of almond milk.


When the cakes had cooled, I stacked the first half on a plate and poked the top several times with a chopstick. I melted the caramel over the top of the cake. I sprinkled some chopped hazelnuts over the top and crumbled some graham crackers (more on the chunky side, than crumbs) over the caramel. Then I layered the second cake on the first.


For the marshmallow frosting...
1 large jar of marshmallow cream
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 almond milk

I chose to drizzle the frosting over the top and completely cover the top layer of cake. I wanted it to flow down the sides, just so it would puddle perfectly on the plate. If you want to frost the entire thing, go for it. For the finishing touch I sprinkled crackers on the top.



My favorite part was the caramel that cooled in the center layer and the chunks of graham cracker stuck on the inside. But really the entire cake was delicious and very moist. I will totally make this cake again, and I won't just reserve it for the summer.

enjoy xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...