Tuesday, June 26, 2012

::homemade dressings::

The summer time is filled with backyard BBQ's, picnics at the park and late night get-togethers with friends. And I really cant imagine any of those settings without a salad as one of the dishes to share. As I've told you here, I love a good salad. Sometimes all I really have is the spinach, so I rummage through my refrigerator and pantry until I find some goodies to throw in with the leaves. Most times, my unusual combinations turn out pretty pleasing... I try to write those down or store them well in my brain for next meal.

mixing
How fun would it be to impress your friends with some homemade salad dressings...? You can brag how they're all natural and that all the ingredients are organic (mine are) and that you just threw it together, last minute. They would be so thrilled. I have found and created a few that I think are some healthy options. They taste great and are so flavorful without all the empty calories and  extra fat. Plus, most of the dressings are created to enhance the natural flavors in your salad mixture- like the use of ginger or lemon.

my dinner from the other night

All recipes can be stored in an air tight container (glass or plastic) and in the refigerator for a few weeks, any longer and it gets a little questionable. I hope these recipes help you to excite your friends and treat yourself to a delicious DIY creation that you can personally be proud of!!

Speaking of DIY, I have just completed a project that had been inspired by Emily over at Cupcakes and Cashmere. I decided to try her bottle topper idea, but tweaked it a little to make it my own. I hope to show you a little later in the week.

Thousand Island Dressing
3/4 cup greek yogurt
3 TBSP sour cream ( I use non fat)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup pickle relish
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 hard boiled egg, chopped (optional)

Italian Dressing Mix
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
to make the dressing- Add 2 TBSP dry mix, with ¼ cup (red wine or balsamic) vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup lemon juice 2 TBSP water

Almond Ginger Dressing (great for a Cobb salad)
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup water
4 tablespoons tahini
1 medium clove garlic
3-4 basil leaves
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
Blend together in a blender till smooth and add water 'till the right consistency.

Orange hummus dressing (great for a salad with fruit in it)
3 Tbsp plain Hummus
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
½ lemon squeezed
1 tsp garlic powder
Red pepper flakes to taste (depends how hot you like it)

Creamy Avocado Dressing (it's a really great dip too)
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. lime zest
1 Persian cucumber
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/2 to 1 tsp. chili powder
Dash of sea salt
blend all together and add additional water if you like it thinner.

sources 1,2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...