Saturday, June 2, 2012

sweet potato salad

Had a really fun weekend for Memorial Day. I got Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off- a real 3 day weekend. I went to the I Love The City Tour on Saturday night and it was amazing. There were tons of great DJs on all of the stages, I especially liked the small stage out in the parking lot. It featured a ton of dub step artists, kinda my thing. There was also a really cool areal/cirqe de soliel performance that two women did at one of the stages. They were really strong and super buff.

favorite stage at the concert.

On Sunday we went and saw the movie Chernobyl Diaries.  It is a similar plot to the Hills Have Eyes... if you saw that a few years ago. Well if you like the movies of things that "go bump in the night/ behind all the actors that only the camera can see".. then this is right up your alley. Even if you don't get scared easily I think some parts will startle you. I wouldn't have minding just seeing it at home once it's released and would pass along the advice to you- so you can skip the theater.

fresh flowers for the kitchen

On Monday we went out to Breakfast to Betsys Restaurant in Morgan Hill. I had the pleasure of trying their Chili Verde, which was amazing!! I also got to sample their homemade corn beef and hash- the meat was so tender and flavorful. If you have time and are in the area it is a great family owned place for breakfast or lunch. Plus, it's located right next to Morgan Hill Bowl- if you're up for a game afterwards! The remainder of Memorial Day was spent at BBQ's- please enter my fabulous potato salad, featured below.

Pierre, my friend at one of our BBQ's

On Tuesday we went and spent the entire day in Capitola, the weather was fabulous. I walked to the beach and took a trail that wrapped along the coast. I also had the pleasure of taking a trip to the famous Gayles Bakery. Everytime I think about that bakery, my mouth starts watering. Let me just tell you that the blackberry tart is very good and I highly recommend it if you can take the time to get out there.

walking the cliffs in Capitola
Healthy Sweet Potato Salad

3 or 4 large sweet potatoes
10 small red potatoes
balsamic vinegar
champagne vinaigrette
olive oil
1/3 cup of raisins
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
Italian seasoning
cumin
paprika
black pepper
fresh garlic
fresh chives

Turn your broiler on high and fill a large pot with water. Cut your sweet potatoes into 1.5 inch cubes and add to the pot of boiling water. smash your garlic with the side of the knife and throw those into the pot as well. Cut your red potatoes in half and toss them with the champagne vinaigrette and olive oil. spread them onto a baking sheet and broil for 15- 20 minutes- flipping and stirring every five minutes. check on your sweet potatoes after about ten minutes, they should be easy to puncture but not mushy. Drizzle it with the balsamic vinegar for flavor... but not too much. When both sets of potatoes are finished cooking remove them from the heat so they can cool. Add as much or as little of the spices as you like ( I like a lot of flavor). Toss in your raisins and yogurt and gentle mix together. Add the chives for garnish... and your done!!
and the hit of the party!!

sweet potatoes cooling



roasted red potatoes

finished product


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...